Re: SSH long delay on login

Subject: Re: SSH long delay on login
From: Thomas T. Soares (ttsoares@orion.ufrgs.br)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 21:12:30 MDT

"Peter M. Bagnall" wrote:

> when I telnet to it and log on as myself I get in instantly. If I'm
> telnetted in from MacOS and I su to root I get the root prompt instantly.
> However, if I'm telnetted in from YDL and I su I have to wait several
> minutes before the root prompt appears.
>
> The interesting thing is that I also have two NICs active. Why it works
> when I telnet from MacOS and not from YDL is a complete mystery to me. I'm
> using NiftyTelnet on the Mac side if that's relevant.

What version of ssh we are talking about?

This ssh delay login hare is between two Red Hat systems so I presume
that it is not a YDL issue...

If I run sshd with the -d (debug) directive it is clear that not a
single packet
  is reaching this daemon. But I can do a 'telnet HOST 22' and this
works
  immediately. So it is not a DNS, firewall or filter case.

This two NICs detail is bothering me and some tests I did by just
drooping the
  card with 'ifconfig eth0 down' did not worked. Tomorrow I will remove
the
  NIC form the machine to test this about ssh logins.

--