Re: RAM limitations with YDL?

Subject: Re: RAM limitations with YDL?
From: Darren Graham (dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 01:24:13 MDT

Someone with a similar setup to mine has reported that 692MB is the
maximum. Use append="mem=692M" in Yaboot or BootX

Daz

At 14:56 06/09/00 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Darren Graham wrote:
> >
> > I have exactly the same problem. Your problem is caused by the kernel not
> > supporting that much RAM.
>
>That is correct. The maximum RAM supported on PPC is currently around 700MB
>iirc. You may be able to boot with a kernel argument of "mem=700" but I'm not
>sure.
>
>See http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-dev/200007/msg00306.html
>
> > You will have to upgrade to 2.14.x. There is a
> > 2.14.x pre-release but i haven't tried it yet. I'm running
> 2.2.15pre19-ben1.
>
>This part doesn't make much sense. Do you mean 2.2.14? 2.2.14 is old, clearly
>older than 2.2.15 (and the current 2.2 version is now .17).
>
>At any rate, Ben's precompiled kernels are generally safe and support newer
>hardware. See http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh.
>
>-Hollis

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.
"We seek not the answers but to better understand
the question"
- Kane, Kung Fu
Darren Graham
Scientist Tel +44 (0) 1252 392819
Space Department Fax +44 (0) 1252 396310
DERA Farnborough
Hampshire email:
United Kingdom dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk
GU14 0LX