Re: SSH long delay on login

Subject: Re: SSH long delay on login
From: rgp systems (rgp@systame.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 20:07:14 MDT

Not quite exactly sure what I did but, I had both cards set to the same host
& domain name; think that might have been confusing DNS. Also realized
netcfg was putting too many routes in; one for each host on an interface and
another for each network the interface was on (it's only necessary to have
the network routes).

Also, I had set up a default gateway that the machine wasn't physically
connected to (this was probably the main problem).

Linuxconf did a better job (I'd do it myself if I could figure out where in
the mess of startup scripts this stuff is done on RedHat).

Read the LDP howto on configuring interfaces and got the following example
which I used for my hosts file:

64.51.34.xxx ftp ftp.server.lan
64.51.34.xxx ftp_external
192.168.0.1 ftp_internal

So there's only one host and domain name for the external interface, with a
second alias for external and just an alias for the internal.

I'm learning as I go; hope this helps.