bandwidth throttle?

Subject: bandwidth throttle?
From: Nathaniel Irons (burpelson@bumppo.net)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 17:42:42 MDT

I'm setting up a YDL server that may eventually exhaust my 384Kb DSL
line. In the interests of forestalling that day as long as possible, is
anyone familiar with a generic means to limit outgoing bandwidth?

I'm less concerned about apache, serving nearly all text, than I am
about INN -- I'm hosting a private news server with a lot of data.
Opening a group containing more than about a thousand unread articles
looks to require a transmission of about 250K, which is basically my
whole connection for five seconds. I'd much rather it took the client
20 or 25 seconds, and didn't crowd out everything else.

Thanks very much.

  -nat