Re: cdrom errors

Subject: Re: cdrom errors
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 15:21:14 MDT

At 2:11 PM -0700 9/9/00, Bryce Verdier wrote:
>alright, i have a simple problem (i think).
>
>i've got a zip drive and a cdrom drive... both scsi. id 5 for zip, and id 6
>for the burner.
>
>i rolled kernel 2.2.15pre19, to install support for vfat( and besides a
>couple of modules problems it works fine). During startup linux recognizes
>the devices.
>
>when i manipulate /etc/fstab for the two
>
>sda5 /mnt/zip vfat defaults 0 0
>sda6 /mnt/burn iso9660 defaults 0 0

No, they're both not the same device. Only one of them can possibly
be sda, and if you have another SCSI drive, maybe neither of them is
You'll need to figure out what the right device is for both of them
(look at your boot logs). CD-ROM are usually scd0, scd1, etc. Disks
(like the Zip) are sda, sdb, sdc, etc, and the number is the
partition number on the drive. Usually a Zip disk will have its
working partition on number 4. For example, my fstab for my Zip looks
like:

linux% grep zip /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb4 /mnt/zip ext2 noauto,user 0 0

and for my CD drives:

linux% grep cd /etc/fstab
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro,user 0 0
/dev/cdrw /mnt/cdrw iso9660 noauto,ro,user 0 0

where /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrw are symbolic links to the actual devices:

linux% ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 3 1999 /dev/cdrom -> scd0
linux% ls -l /dev/cdrw
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Dec 19 1999 /dev/cdrw -> scd1

But I have some Zip disks with the working file system on sdb5.

Before I added my 18 GB hard drive, my Zip was sda.

>and do a mount -a no problems
>
>mount /dev/sda6 says it can't read it
>same with the zip.
>
>i think i did everything right, but it doesn't seem to work... any ideas,
>?'s , comments. I'm all ears
>
>thanx in advance
>b.

Paul Schinder