Re: running nmap

Subject: Re: running nmap
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 02:37:01 MDT

Jennifer Ulrich wrote:

> Okay, so assuming that this is a weird yellow dog linuxy thing, I tried to
> run modprobe af_packet. I got this error:
>
> modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
> /lib/modules/2.2.15-2.9.0/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
>
> So I poke a litte into /lib/modules/ and find a directory called
> 2.2.17-0.6.1. But as I look around this directory, I cannot seem to locate
> any file named modules.dep.
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience getting nmap to run?
> I would appreciate any help that you all might have to offer. Thanks!!

What version of kernel are you running? It looks like you are running
2.2.15-2.9.0, but then you are trying to load modules from kernel
version 2.2.17-0.6.1. This won't work.

To fix this make sure you run the 2.2.17-0.6.1 kernel, then run the
command "depmod -a". This will create the missing modules.dep file. In
fact, the "depmod -a" is done for you automatically on startup, so
fixing this should simply be booting into the correct kernel image.

The modules.dep file contains all the dependancies for all the modules
on your system. Basically it describes which modules need whichever
other modules to function properly. Without this file, things break.

Regards,
Graham