Re: mySQL installation

Subject: Re: mySQL installation
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 22:33:15 MDT

At 9:12 PM +0200 on 9/11/00, Michael A. Peters wrote:

>It sounds like you got it working- but in all honesty, the *easiest*
>way to get a good MySQL install on PowerPC is to download the src
>rpm, then
>
>rpm -U MySQL-3.23.23-whatever.src.rpm
>cd /usr/src/rpm/SPECS
>rpm -ba mysql-whatever.spec
>[[ long wait while it compiles ]]
>cd ../RPMS/ppc
>
>and all the RPM's are right there.
>
>One of the nice things about rpm install is that the dependencies
>for any rpm's you download that require MySQL will be satisfied, and
>you can check the integrity of the package (such as after a crash or
>what not) with
>
>rpm --verify packagename

That sounds cool. Certainly easier than what I did... I'm a little
glad I learned the "hard" way though, just for future reference. ;-)

Now I'm moving on to php. Gulp.

I'd like to install it as an apache module, and I'm scouring the docs
and coming up with some questions...

  I've just downloaded 4.0.2 but haven't installed it yet. I read in
an earlier post that YDL doesn't come with a version of php that can
recognize mySQL.

If I upgrade, do I have to download and recompile and reconfigure
apache too, or can I install it over my existing php3 installation?

And.. If so, the docs mention the path to apache, but I'm not sure
what that is on my YDL system.

Any hints?

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder