Re: IDE Slave Drive with the newest Kernel

Subject: Re: IDE Slave Drive with the newest Kernel
From: Joe Stewart (joerex@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 23:23:38 MDT

on 9/13/00 9:50 PM, Joshua Gitlin at jnet@brandeis.edu wrote:

> Hey everyone, it's me again.
>
> Ok, I'm still trying to get Linux to install on my G4. I
> downloaded the new kernel, but how do I boot from it? I want Linux on
> a secondary drive I have, it is IDE and it is configured as the
> slave. I guess I need it's address to pass to yaboot? Well I went
> into OF and tried to figure out the path and create an alias --
> CHOKE. That failed. Does anyone have a clue what I should do? Thanks
> again.
>
> -Josh Gitlin

Well, I've got a similar setup...a drive for linux in the zip drive bay on
my DP G4. I have it formatted for linux and a small HFS partition (30 megs)
for yaboot/kernel/install ramdisk, etc. Then I just select that partition
in the startup disk control panel. I restart and it boots into linux fine,
but I'm having 2 problems.

1) with the YDL kernel the keyboard doesn't work, a big problem I haven't
figured out how to fix.

and...
2) with benh's latest 2.2.17pre20 kernel, the boot hangs while it's trying
to setup mouse emulation. I just realized I have my keyboard plugged into a
hub, which might make some difference. I'll try it that way and if it works
I'll write again to the list.

Joe