Re: Installing YaBoot (to get my Epson 740 to work!)

Subject: Re: Installing YaBoot (to get my Epson 740 to work!)
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 00:12:47 MDT

>that's weird... i recently compiled 2.2.17 to get USB
>printer support compiled in... and it works with my
>BootX(i use the BootX Extension everytime if that's
>different in some weird way) but anyway... i tried
>using my printer in linux with no success. i setup a
>printer... told it what device. /dev/bus/usb/lp0 or
>something... and... picked the closest filter i could
>find Epson 800 i think. and tried a test page with no
>luck... nothing reached the printer. hmmm. well guess
>i'll fix printing in macos first... slight cut off of
>text on the right side... weird. got update. anyway, i
>see that someone posted they got the 860 working on
>linux.com USB or parallel i don't know. anybody have
>USB printer success?
> -jeremy

Hmm. Then maybe I screwed up when I compiled my kernel in that case. What
hardware are you running on. I'm on a rev1 blue and white G3. Maybe that
makes a difference.

When I was looking for the USB stuff I did find a tonne of stuff for the
Epson 740 specifically, look at
http://216.22.163.20/Linux_Pages/epson740.shtml

Clearly since I can't even boot with my new kernel I have no clue whether
it'll work, but it's worth a try!

Could you send me the config you used to build your kernel so I can compare
with what I've got. I guess it might not be too relevant if you've got
different hardware, but it might give me a clue.

Cheers

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall