Re: BIG BAD error message...

Subject: Re: BIG BAD error message...
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 12:17:54 MDT

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Gawain Reifsnyder wrote:

> At 1:37 PM -0400 on 9/14/00, Hollis R Blanchard wrote:
>
> >It does sound like a hardware problem...
> >
> >I would double-check all your SCSI stuff. Bad cables, bad connections, and
> >especially termination.
>
> 10-4. When running as a "normal" Mac, this machine has run in the
> same configuration as it is now for several years with nary a
> problem. It's funny that the problems would only start once it had
> been reformatted as a UNIX disk. Don't you think if it was a
> cable/termination issue I would have known about it a long time ago?

Some OS's can be fussier than others. For example, in the old days on x86,
the classic reason for kernel compiles to die with weird gcc errors was
because of bad RAM - RAM that Windows apparently didn't use much.

In my experience Linux seems to be fussier about SCSI termination than the
Mac OS. That's not saying SCSI is the only possible cause; it just seems
like the most likely. You didn't mention what kernel you're running (you
might try upgrading), but I would check that after you've made sure SCSI
is cool.

-Hollis