RE: X Font Server Problems

Subject: RE: X Font Server Problems
From: David Marceau (dmarceau@metrowerks.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 08:39:39 MDT

I think your problem may be due to shortages in RAM and Disk space.

A little insight about what happened to me concerning X font server:

When I first installed ydl, I was getting the inability to startx because of
two things:
1)x font server would not start
2)not enough disk space

I managed to make some disk space but just enough to get the x font server
running.
I had very limited amounts of memory(32MB ram) and disk(100MB left).

When I liberated some disk space and rebooted, the x font server started due
to the extra disk space.

When I startx, it started up successfully with enough memory to get X/GNOME
up.
After that I only had 1MB(RAM) left for invoking apps into.

IMHO I would strongly recommend 2GB Disk with 64MB of RAM minimum for linux
on a mac.

I hope this helps.