XFree86 v3.3.6, G4 agp, and mouseconfig issues w/ a logitech optical wheel mouse

Subject: XFree86 v3.3.6, G4 agp, and mouseconfig issues w/ a logitech optical wheel mouse
From: melissa (mmcsween@mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 15:23:42 MDT

Hi

This is my first time using a Linux/unix system as a general end user. I
installed YDL CS 1.2 on my G4agp. I watched the list for a month, and other
sources before I was able to figure out how to dual boot correctly. I am
currently using kernel: 2.2.17pre20-ben3

So my next hurdle is the mouseconfig.

Error:
fata server error: cannot open mouse (no such device).......X connection to
:0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
Also when I shut down I get a failed error message for shutting down console
mouse services

Ok, in my readings it seems that the solution is to update to Xfree86 v4.0
or 4.01, then manually create a file and also check the /etc/X11/XF86Config
to be sure it uses the right protocol. I read all of the associated links
to ben's site and do not understand a lot of it so....Another site seems to
suggest, just update the kernel (as I have) and then update the input
drivers device packages.

Concerns:
For the v4.0 there is a list of supported or not supported HW, but in
glancing at it, I really do not know enough to say whether my stuff is
supported or not. I guess I do not know what I am looking for there.
Secondly, do I really have to upgrade the whole thing? I actually have to
remove (somehow) the previously installed version then install (somehow) the
v4.0. And third, I do not have PPP setup, nor do I know how yet.

Questions:
1. Do I need to remove 3.3.6 and install to 4.0? If so, how do I remove
v3.3.6? Or do I just need to update the dev packages since I have the
updated kernel?

2. Is there a way to manually update without PPP? If so, can a newbie
accomplish this?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for your patience :P

Thanks
Melissa