Re: Modem woes for newbie

Subject: Re: Modem woes for newbie
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 22:15:50 MDT

Patrick Callahan wrote:

> Justin Krause wrote:
>
> > Newbie to linux and have installed CS 1.2 on a legacy G3 233 minitower.
> > I have gotten both X and MOL up and running but I can't figure how to
> > configure my modem. Does CS 1.2 support the Apple /GV 56 k? I have tried
> > to detect it in X but it only locks up completely and forces me to
> > manually power off and restart. I've just gotten some info on
> > configuring MOL to be able to use PPP in Mac OS but I haven't tried that
> > yet. I'd really like to be able to use linux to get online. Any help
> > greatly appreciated.
>
> #1 put your cs 1.2 install disk back in
> mount /dev/cdrom
> cd /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS
> rpm -ivh kppp*
>
> as a user, get a terminal window going.
>
> type kppp&
>
> put in your root password. If you get messages about X,...

Well its not as simple as I thought.

Heres what I had to do.

logged in as the user pac1,

use the command: xauth list
This outputs
localhost.localdomain/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 plus a very long
hexadecimal number

next su root
cd ~root
and use the command
xauth add plus all the stuff output by the xuath list

exit from the su
kppp&
and kppp will ask for roots password.

now it should work, at least enough to get you in so you can configure kppp.

-Pat