Re: yellowdog-general Digest 20 Sep 2000 22:41:44 -0000 Issue 244

Subject: Re: yellowdog-general Digest 20 Sep 2000 22:41:44 -0000 Issue 244
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 20:49:42 MDT

There are ways to configure the newworld machines to reboot automatically
upon power restoration after power failure (It was one of the setup
questions in the setup assistant; it is also in the energysaver cdev).
This sets a flag, which obviously must involve the OF system, which reboots
the machine on power-restoration. You can set OF to automatically go to
yaboot, and yaboot can be set to auto-launch ydl. Post-failure bootup is
automatically going to check for losses; the daemons should be autolaunched
if configured properly on your system.

If you have an appropriate ups, you can set linux up to automatically shut
itself down safely when the ups detects power failure. APS has linux
drivers, and mac drivers, but I haven't looked into those as I can't afford
their products. (They charge an extra US$100 for the mac version of
Powerslide....)

>hi.
>Security is important, I know, but I have an application for a linux box
>that requires no security - it will be contained in a aluminum box and will
>be flying at 130 000 feet. No people around :-)
>But it needs to be insensitive to sudden power failures. It needs to reboot
>and continue running the data aquisition applications no matter what
>happens.
>It is unclear to me how to set up a linux box to boot without user
>interaction.
>Is there a sensible way of doing that, or will I have to change to a
>different OS?
>
>Thanks.

William F. Hostman | "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"
Aramis 0602 C55A364-C S kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge-
533
aramis@gci.net http://home.gci.net/~aramis Vilani: uilamaanamti sirohbrankilin
IMTU 1.0: tc tm++ tn- t4-- tt+ to- tg-- ru+ ge 3i+ c+ jt-() au+ st- ls
pi+() ta+ he+(-) kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge- pi+