Re: Starting Apache/MySql

Subject: Re: Starting Apache/MySql
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 13:02:14 MDT

At 3:13 PM -0500 on 9/20/00, dG wrote:

>Your /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory should already have a startup scritpt for
>httpd (apache). You should only need to write a script for MySQL. Don't
>let it scare you it is not that difficult.

Thanks for your help. I read the RedHat article, which has moved to here:

<http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/Boot-Process-Tips/Boot-Proces
s-Tips.html>

and found the secret for apache at least. :-) As a linux newbie I
feel a sense of accomplishment. I made two symbolic links to the
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl script in my rc3.d directory, naming
one of them something like K99httpd to start apache and the other
S55httpd to stop it. I'm still unclear on how the "K" or "S" in the
name of the link allows the OS to pass the "start" or "stop"
arguments to the script, but it works, so I'm happy.

Now to check out that mySQL startup script...

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder
Guitar.net, Inc.
http://guitar.net