make dep fails trying to compile kernel

Subject: make dep fails trying to compile kernel
From: Pete Peters (ppeters@broadcastzone.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 12:37:37 MDT

Unable to boot using any precompiled kernels (kernel.org or BenH's
2.2.17-pre3), so figured I'd build my own. Rsync'd pmac-stable (Paul M's
stuff) from penguinppc.org, then;

make distclean -> ok
make pmac_clean -> ok
make oldconfig -> ok
make dep -> no joy. Get the following;

     gcc -Wall -Wstrick-protoypes -02 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
scripts/mkdep.c
     scripts/mkdep.c:23: ctype.h: No such file or directory

It repeats this line up to c:33 listing some .h (C header?) file before
quitting with;

     make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error 1

Trying to run make menuconfig also results in similar messages, though it
ends in;

     make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

I'm guessing there might be another package I need to install, but my
archive searches aren't finding anything. Some direction anyone? Please
email me directly as well as the list as it seems the digests take their
time getting to me. Thanks.

Pete
ppeters@broadcastzone.com