Re: Help getting TCP started

Subject: Re: Help getting TCP started
From: John Springer (john@digitalmx.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 19:28:49 MDT

on 9/22/00 5:20 PM, dsbelile at dsbelile@mediaone.net wrote:

> also do this and send it back :
>
> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> make sure it does not have any entries and looks like this one...
> [root@dsbelile /root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=yes
> [root@dsbelile /root]#
>
> sometimes if you had a static address it does not remove the NETMASK and
> NETWORK.
OK,
I also booted up with MacOS and made sure I could ping the machine with
MacOS running. It's fine, so the ethernet connections are all OK.

Then I rebooted linux again and looked at the file you refer to. (Can't
very easily copy and send, since I've got no net connection on the damn
thing.) However, I have exactly the same 3 lines you have.

For what its worth, I did install and booted a few times with no ethernet
connection attached. Now that I've attached ethernet it seems to hang in
the bootup at the sendmail step. But eventually (like minutes) it says OK
and goes on. Is this normal?? I haven't done any configuration of sendmail
yet. Same thing happens two steps later with httpd, which I also haven't
configured yet. httpd says it FAILED.

Could you look at:
ifconfig eth0
I show RXpackets: 7 errors: 2 discarded: 245 frames: 2

The more I do, the more discarded RX packets.

--
John Springer
   Portland's my home.