Re: Help getting TCP started

Subject: Re: Help getting TCP started
From: John Springer (john@digitalmx.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 20:00:30 MDT

on 9/22/00 6:48 PM, dsbelile at dsbelile@mediaone.net wrote:

> you'll get there dude ive been there too.....
Hey, I REALLY appreciate your help.

And you've got me a lot closer.

I put in the static stuff you suggested and it made a big difference:

1. No longer hangs at startup on sendmail and http; http no longer fails.
2. I can ping machines on my network now, and I can ping the linux machine.

Only problem now seems to be that it doesn't know where the gateway is. I
assume a need to fix the routing table that showed up in netstat. How do I
do that? Must be a routes file in /etc ??

The lsmod command shows only two modules: soundcore and dmasound. This has
something to do with sound, I'll wager. To get sound to work in X I had to
do something with that dmasound command in a boot alias file.

It's a Mac, so there isn't any ethernet card (it's always built in).

I think I'll just give this thing a static address and take that one out of
the dhcp pool. I want to use it as a server, so it shouldn't be dynamic
anyway.

Where do I put the gateway and nameserver info?

--
John Springer
   Portland's my home.