Linux Apps on OS X?

Subject: Linux Apps on OS X?
From: Reid Anderson (resander@cs.hamilton.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 10:39:55 MDT

I've heard that it is possible to run some Linux apps under Mac OS X. Has
anyone tried this? Considering the Unix core of both Linux and OS X, it
seems doable, any luck out there? And if so, which apps? I would really like
to get say Star-Office, and Netscape running native in OS X rather than
running Netscape through the "Classic Environment". It would also be nice
to be able to use my Graphire Mouse instead of that stupid Hockey Puck
mouse! Anyone have any luck getting a Graphire tablet running under Linux or
under OS X?

One more question...
    When I download a .tar or .gz or .tar.gz file, how should I unstuff it
under OS X (Unix) I am really looking for a Unix command to unstaff those
files since StuffIt Expander hasn't done it correctly yet...

Thanks,
    Reid Anderson
    resander@cs.hamilton.edu