RE: make dep fails trying to compile kernel

Subject: RE: make dep fails trying to compile kernel
From: Pete Peters (ppeters@broadcastzone.com)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 15:32:52 MDT

*Heavy sigh* Still won't boot. I get the same result if I use precompiled
kernels from Kernel.org or BenH's 2.2.17-pre3, or compiling my own
(following James Wall's instructions below)after rsyncing w/ Paul's
pmac-stable tree:

---------------------------------
Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.2.17

started at :Ox00000000
linked at
frame buffer at
MSR
HID0
ICTC

booting...
---------------------------------
...and that's where it stays. Note: each line had addresses (or whatever
they are) too, I was just too lazy to type 'em in.

Works okay using 2.2.15-2.9.0 kernel that installed w/ the YDL 1.2 distro.
Couldn't get X to work using XFree86, so went w/ Xpmac.rev10.

Video is kinda slow in console; real slow redraws in X.

Other info:
PPC 9500 upgraded w/ PowerLogix G3 card
MacOS 8.6
128 MB ram
ATI Rage Orion video card (Rage 128 chip, 16 MB vram)
(2) 2 GB SCSI drives: sda -> MacOS
                      sdb -> / and swap
BootX v1.2.2 -> Set G3 cache enabled, no kernel arguments
PowerLogix G3/G4 Profiler control panel set to disable built-in motherboard
cache and enable backside cache. dmesg confirms this is happening.

So, I am tired and frustrated. Any and all constructive ideas welcome.

Pete