Running Apache/Sendmail without a hostname

Subject: Running Apache/Sendmail without a hostname
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 19:58:59 MDT

Hi all,

I'm still in the setup and testing phase with YDL. Things are going
pretty well, but I'm stumped with a (probably simple) DNS issue.

I'm running the server on a small ethernet network connected to the
internet by a cable modem. The gateway machine is running IPNetRouter
and the YDL server is not currently visible from the internet. Just
the way I want it at the moment! No problems there. :-)

However, I've entered the dns information into YDL using the DNS info
from my ISP, and now YDL thinks it's hostname is ".telalink.net"
because of the Search Domain info I entered. (notice the lack of a
machine name)

I'm accessing the server by its IP address: 192.168.1.49, but the dns
mixup is causing some strange behavior, including long delays loading
pages while the browser tries to look up the nonexistent machine.

How can I disable the whole hostname issue until the machine is
actually given a hostname?

P.S. I'd also like to be able to use sendmail on the YDL machine, but
it also gets bounced because of this problem...

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder
Guitar.net, Inc.
http://guitar.net