Unable to boot using 2.2.17 kernels

Subject: Unable to boot using 2.2.17 kernels
From: Pete Peters (ppeters@broadcastzone.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 13:00:06 MDT

Resending this w/ a different subject line. Maybe somebody will respond this
time. **PLEASE!!**

Works okay using 2.2.15-2.9.0 kernel that installed w/ the YDL 1.2 distro.
Couldn't get X to work using XFree86, so went w/ Xpmac.rev10. Video is kinda
slow in console; real slow redraws in X. Reading the archives indicates XF4
should resolve this, so I figured I would install a newer kernel first, but
computer will not boot w/ newer kernel. MacOS launches, BootX launches, then
I get the following:

---------------------------------
Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.2.17

started at :Ox00000000
linked at
frame buffer at
MSR
HID0
ICTC

booting...
---------------------------------
...and that's where it stays. I get the same result using precompiled
binaries or kernels I build myself from BenH, Kernel.org and penguinppc.org.
One difference; on BenH's kernel it reboots every 3 minutes (I timed it).

Other info:
PPC 9500 upgraded w/ PowerLogix G3 card
MacOS 8.6
128 MB ram
ATI Rage Orion video card (Rage 128 chip, 16 MB vram)
(2) 2 GB SCSI drives: sda -> MacOS
                      sdb -> / and swap
BootX v1.2.2 -> Set G3 cache enabled, no kernel arguments
PowerLogix G3/G4 Profiler control panel set to disable built-in motherboard
cache and enable backside cache. dmesg confirms this is happening.

So, I am tired and frustrated. Any and all constructive ideas welcome.

Pete