Re: Unable to boot using 2.2.17 kernels

Subject: Re: Unable to boot using 2.2.17 kernels
From: Darren Graham (dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 01:41:32 MDT

First of all, try a slightly older kernel 2.2.15pre19 from Ben's
website. Second use "no video" in the BootX options. Third of all make
sure you have the correct system.map and modules files. I have had
problems with the 2.2.15-2.9.0 kernel on my G4 but the later kernel fixed
the problems i was having. I'm not 2.2.17 at all.

I hope this helps

Darren

At 12:00 28/09/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Resending this w/ a different subject line. Maybe somebody will respond this
>time. **PLEASE!!**
>
>Works okay using 2.2.15-2.9.0 kernel that installed w/ the YDL 1.2 distro.
>Couldn't get X to work using XFree86, so went w/ Xpmac.rev10. Video is kinda
>slow in console; real slow redraws in X. Reading the archives indicates XF4
>should resolve this, so I figured I would install a newer kernel first, but
>computer will not boot w/ newer kernel. MacOS launches, BootX launches, then
>I get the following:
>
>---------------------------------
>Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.2.17
>
>started at :Ox00000000
>linked at
>frame buffer at
>MSR
>HID0
>ICTC
>
>booting...
>---------------------------------
>...and that's where it stays. I get the same result using precompiled
>binaries or kernels I build myself from BenH, Kernel.org and penguinppc.org.
>One difference; on BenH's kernel it reboots every 3 minutes (I timed it).
>
>Other info:
>PPC 9500 upgraded w/ PowerLogix G3 card
>MacOS 8.6
>128 MB ram
>ATI Rage Orion video card (Rage 128 chip, 16 MB vram)
>(2) 2 GB SCSI drives: sda -> MacOS
> sdb -> / and swap
>BootX v1.2.2 -> Set G3 cache enabled, no kernel arguments
>PowerLogix G3/G4 Profiler control panel set to disable built-in motherboard
>cache and enable backside cache. dmesg confirms this is happening.
>
>So, I am tired and frustrated. Any and all constructive ideas welcome.
>
>Pete

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.
"We seek not the answers but to better understand
the question"
- Kane, Kung Fu
Darren Graham
Scientist Tel +44 (0) 1252 392819
Space Department Fax +44 (0) 1252 396310
DERA Farnborough
Hampshire email:
United Kingdom dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk
GU14 0LX