Pismo dep modules and startx trials

Subject: Pismo dep modules and startx trials
From: Kevin J. Holland (hollandk@ULV.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 07:14:45 MDT

I asked for some help two weeks ago to finish my ydl install on my
pismo, but got distracted. I also want to preface that I'am a
beginner at this and the commands to move, create directories and the
like are new and it would be helpful it those directions were spelled
out clearly, because most of the time I'm rather clueless. I'm
enjoying this process and can't wait till all is functioning with
stability and ease.

Here's what I've got thus far...Pismo 2000 powerbook with lots of RAM.

I boot up with Command-Option-F-O and type "boot hd:9,yaboot.tbxi"
and Linux launches just fine with some minor problems.

Along the way the dependency module doesn't load ant this error
message is given"finding module dependencies Dep Mod: Can't open
/Lib/Modules/2.2.15pre14/modules dep for writing [FAILED]

The instructions I have been following all along for the install have
been from modctek.com, adventures in Linux and everything has gone
pretty good except modules and startx

On my bootstrap I'm using a kernel fro Benjamin Herrenschmidt's page
"vmlinux-2.215pre14-Ben1.

On page two from the modctek page which deals with fixing dep modules
it says to get this files "modules-2.2.15pre14-ben1.tar.gz" from
http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh, but that version is not there. So, I
used this file "modules-2.2.17pre20-ben3.tar.gz" and I THINK I
installed it in the right place but I still get the loading dep
modules error.

So If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong with this file or if it is
even compatible, let me know. I also need help extracting and
untarring this file correctly and making sure it gets into
/lib/modules correctly, which is a challenge for me

startx also crashes.

Any help is great

Kevin,
hollandk@ulv.edu