Pismo dep modules and startx trials (help w/ this one)

Subject: Pismo dep modules and startx trials (help w/ this one)
From: Kevin J. Holland (hollandk@ULV.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 12:38:58 MDT

THIS IS THE COMPLETE MESSAGE; THE LAST ONE I HIT THE SEND BUTTON TOO
SOON, SORRY.

I asked for some help two weeks ago to finish my ydl install on my
pismo, but got distracted. I also want to preface that I'am a
beginner at this and the commands to move, create directories and the
like are new and it would be helpful it those directions were spelled
out clearly, because most of the time I'm rather clueless. I'm
enjoying this process and can't wait till all is functioning with
stability and ease.

Here's what I've got thus far...Pismo 2000 powerbook with lots of RAM.

The instructions I have been following all along for the install have
been from modctek.com, adventures in Linux

I boot up with Command-Option-F-O and type "boot hd:9,yaboot.tbxi"
and Linux launches just fine with some minor problems. Running
2.2.15pre14 Kernel .

Problem #1:
Along the way the dependency module doesn't load ant this error
message is given"finding module dependencies Dep Mod: Can't open
/Lib/Modules/2.2.15pre14/modules dep for writing [FAILED]

On page two from the modctek page which deals with fixing dep modules
it says to get this file "modules-2.2.15pre14-ben1.tar.gz" from
http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh, but that version is not there. So, I
used this file "modules-2.2.17pre20-ben3.tar.gz" and I THINK I
installed it in the right place but I still get the loading dep
modules error. I can't find version modules-2.2.15pre14-ben1.tar.gz;
should I have used this. I'm also a little unclear if I untarred and
unzipped the file in the right directory. This is kinda of a mess
already huh?

Problem #2
startx doesn't start...Here is the message dialog I get...
Could not find config file!
Tried:
/root/XF86Config
/etc/XF86Config
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
Fatal server error: no config file found

Next I tried to run Xconfigurator but received a critical server erro
reading /etc/sysconfig/mouse.
Xconfigurator check permissions of /etc/sysconfig/mouse
Xconfigurator: make sure you are running this program as root

My response to this is Huh? I'm lost.

Next I tried installing the rpm that is recommended by the Modctek
install and It didn't seem to work either. I could have installed it
wrong, though. the point at which in the instructions it says to type
in Xautoconfig and I get a brand new XF86config file...where is this
done? At the root prompt?

This is where I stand...looking pretty good but not quite there. Your
wisdom, patience and technical expertise is desired and appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin Holland
hollandk@ulv.edu