Re: need help with modem...

Subject: Re: need help with modem...
From: dsbelile (dsbelile@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 07:41:47 MDT

David Griffith wrote:

> I just recently installed YDL on a PM 7300/200 with a Global Village
> Teleport 56 external modem (ROM upgraded to V90). I'm trying to get online
> through XF86, but I can't seem to find any information on where to find a
> driver or even a walkthrough to make sure everything is set up correctly.
> Can anyone help?
>
> dlg

well never rely on the gui ( x-server ) do it command line and you will know
it is absolutely running.

ls -al /dev/modem

you should see some thing like :

/dev/modem -> /dev/ttys0

if not than create the link to the dev ( if you are using com 1 or 2) if
apple talk you need that device....

another way is to run minicom

like:

minicom -s

setup the config and save it. than just run minicom

and type : atd5551212 or whatever number to test with, if this works your
modem works.

now at a terminal you can cheet so type: netcfg &

and fill in the little blanks and you should be golden.
to start the modem by command line once you have filled all the goodies in you
can just type : ifup ppp0 and ifdownppp0

hope this helps....

chris