Re: Having problems installing YDL on my Powerbook G3 1999

Subject: Re: Having problems installing YDL on my Powerbook G3 1999
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 15:53:43 MDT

>From: "Ruiz, Juan" <Juan.Ruiz@circle.com>
>To: "'yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com'"
> <yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com>
>Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:52:35 -0400
>Subject: Having problems installing YDL on my Powerbook G3 1999
>
>Well i got rid of the the Mac os and i created a minimal os install of mac
>ok and i was using yabbot at first everything seemed fine untill i got the
>setup screen i could not us the keyboard it was dead abosolutly dead i mean
>the caps light came on and so forth but linux would not reconize it, so i
>went back and wiped the mac os again and made aminimal install again on a
>300mb hfs partition then i install BootX and it seem to run better but then
>when i got to the install screen again no keyboard has anyone run into this
>problem??? Thanks

common problem with newworld machine released this year, it seems... the
CS1.2 (.0) distro's kernel doesn't propperly access certain machines human
inderfacce devices. Identical problem with the iMac DVSE 500 MHx (Released
in Aug or Sept 00; what I've got, bTW). Try some of the USB Backport
kernels (it may take a few tries), or some of the other ppc kernels. You'll
also need the correct system.map files and dependencies files, so you may
be able to get away with waiting til after the install to put them in
place, but the kernels may run without them (You want them eventually,
tho'; the machine is MUCH happier with them.)

BenH's kernels are at http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

They require some changes done during install (fromm the command-line
prompt available through Cmd-f2, or Cmd-f3)... they change where the device
file is for the mouse. They also change the recognition for the newer
machines, but that is not apparent in the filesystem. (They ported to the
2.2 series kernels the interface elements from the 2.4 kernel series.)

From: "Kevin J. Holland" <hollandk@ULV.EDU>

>On page two from the modctek page which deals with fixing dep modules
>it says to get this files "modules-2.2.15pre14-ben1.tar.gz" from
>http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh, but that version is not there. So, I
>used this file "modules-2.2.17pre20-ben3.tar.gz" and I THINK I
>installed it in the right place but I still get the loading dep
>modules error.
>
>So If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong with this file or if it is
>even compatible, let me know. I also need help extracting and
>untarring this file correctly and making sure it gets into
>/lib/modules correctly, which is a challenge for me

make a link to the modules.dep in place of the old link.

I had to do the same; after the link was in place, it runs fine and finds
on my iMac.

>Problem #2
>startx doesn't start...Here is the message dialog I get...
>Could not find config file!
>Tried:
>/root/XF86Config
>/etc/XF86Config
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
>Fatal server error: no config file found
>
>Next I tried to run Xconfigurator but received a critical server erro
>reading /etc/sysconfig/mouse.
>Xconfigurator check permissions of /etc/sysconfig/mouse
>Xconfigurator: make sure you are running this program as root
>
>My response to this is Huh? I'm lost.
>
>Next I tried installing the rpm that is recommended by the Modctek
>install and It didn't seem to work either. I could have installed it
>wrong, though. the point at which in the instructions it says to type
>in Xautoconfig and I get a brand new XF86config file...where is this
>done? At the root prompt?

start by applying the backport enabling for the mouse.

(The whole process I took is on my website at
http://home.gci.net/~aramis/ydl/index.html
or directly as a text file at http://home.gci.net/ydl/process_taken.txt

shows what I had to do. May be of some help. (Yes, I'm a newbie to linux,
too, but have somme prior BSD experience and helpful friends...)

William F. Hostman | "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"
Aramis 0602 C55A364-C S kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge-
533
aramis@gci.net http://home.gci.net/~aramis Vilani: uilamaanamti sirohbrankilin
IMTU 1.0: tc tm++ tn- t4-- tt+ to- tg-- ru+ ge 3i+ c+ jt-() au+ st- ls
pi+() ta+ he+(-) kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge- pi+