B&W G3 Server 450 X Problems

Subject: B&W G3 Server 450 X Problems
From: Todd Daniel Woodward (tdwoodward@radiodigest.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 18:20:13 MDT

Specs:

B&W G3 Server 450
512mb RAM
Adaptec WU2 SCSI
18gb HD (YDL)
9gd HD (MacOS 8)
9gd HD (MacOS X Server 1.2)
USB Keyboard (Standard Apple)
USB Mouse (Kensington Orbit)
Monitor: Sony GDM-500PS
Using BootX 1.2x for now.

I've got YDL 1.2 installed just fine, it seems to work spiffy: I can get out
on the net, use Lynx to my hearts abandon as well as NCFTP...the usual
things that make a *NIX person get giddy. I'm quite impressed with how
thorough the package is. However X windows is a no-go.

It either starts up out of sync (there's something there...several times in
fact, but you just can't make it out) or doesn't start at all with one error
or another.

Next to the YDL box, I have a separate G3 Server with Mac OS X Server on it,
an I've used 1600x1200 85mhz resolution on it since it was installed over a
year ago.

I'm happy with OSXS, and manage 3 others remotely via command line, but I
want to experiment with other available operating systems (including *BSD)
on the spare G3 Server

Anyone have a similar setup and/or have any tips to setting up X correctly?

Thanks,
Todd