PPP Fails to Connect with Error 4 after YUP

Subject: PPP Fails to Connect with Error 4 after YUP
From: Doktor Joy (doktor@doktorjoy.org)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 11:13:11 MDT

About two weeks ago I ran a yup script to update some scripts.

I do not remember exactly which one it was, it was either network
scripts or init-scripts.

Due to being distracted, I didn't reboot the machine at the time.

I restarted the server last night, and now it cannot start the 'ppp0'
interface. I have checked that the ISDN TA is working (it is), and
that the write device is being used (it is).

However, during startup, when the scripts report 'bring up interface
ppp0', I get the red FAILED warning, and the error "failed to start
ppp0 with error 4".

If I then try 'ifup ppp0' from the command line as super user, I get
the same error. Everything in linuxconf looks correct. I tried to use
wvdial also, and after configuring that, get an error saying it
cannot connect.

Does anybody know what error 4 is? Can anybody tell me a way around
this? I've looked through the various digests from this list to try
to work out which script I ran (it was one of the recommended
security updates).

I'm runnning YDL 1.2.1, if that helps any.

Can I downgrade the scripts again using the install CD, and if so,
how should I go about this?

Any help much appreciated - I rely on this server.

Dok