Re: Wrong kernel headers

Subject: Re: Wrong kernel headers
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 18:38:36 MDT

Paul,

2.0 was compiled completely against kernel 2.4 headers.
This is would was done in Red Hat 7 as well. Mostly it was done
because Red Hat 7/YDL 2 are sort of transition distributions:
in stage of providing a 2.4 compatible system, but not defaulting to 2.4
as the system kernel.

Also, the system kernel headers should match
the kernel headers that glibc was compiled against.

Since glibc was compiled against 2.4.x, the kernel headers
should be version 2.4.x. This is a change from the
old school of thought which was that /usr/include/{linux,asm}
should be symlinks to whatever kernel source you have
in say, /usr/src/linux, which could change depending on
what kernel you've downloaded and uncompressed in /usr/src.

Hope that clarifies. The 2.2.19 headers are on the Tasty
CD if you absolutely need them for whatever reason.

--

Regards, Dan Burcaw Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.