At the end of my installation rope!

Subject: At the end of my installation rope!
From: OpticNerve, Inc. - Information (opticnerve_info@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 12:19:33 MDT

We have this Blue/White G3 that has literally been used as a paperweight
since March 2000. The machine was purchased in October of 1999, so I guess
this makes it a "NEW WORLD" system.

The machine has 128MB RAM, a 400MHz CPU, and runs MacOS 8.6.

A brand new 20GB IDE drive is THE ONLY THING that has ever been added to
this machine, expressly for the purpose of installing YD2.0.

The new 20GB IDE drive has been formatted into 4 equal partitions.

In an effort to breath new life into this machine, I am attempting to
install YD2.0, which I have been told should be a simple process (yea
right). We are a 100% RH Linux shop, so getting this machine up-and-running
as a Linux box will make me look great.

So, to this end, I downloaded the ISOs for YD2.0 and burned them to CDs.

Following the Engineering instructions from the YellowDog web site, I made
sure that a ZIP disk was in the ZIP drive.

I restart the machine and hold down the 'c' key. The system boots to the CD
ROM.

At this point I think I am going to be a hero.

And then I get the following message, and everything comes to a halt.

---BEGIN MESSAGE---
Welcome to yaboot version 1.1.1
boot: install
    Elf32 Kernel loaded

via_calibrate_decr:decrementer_count = 249346 (1496078 ticks)
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 796.26 BogoMIPS
Memory: 122752 available (1784 kernel code, 2748k data, 188k init)
[c0000000, ebf00000]
Dentry hash table entries: 16384 (order 5, 1024k)
Buffer cache hash table entries: 131072 (order 5, 512k)
Page cache hash table entries: 32768 (order 5, 128k)
UFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
POSIX confomance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: probing PCI Hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
TCP: Hash tables configured (ehash 131072 bhash 65536)
NET4: Appletalk .18 for Linux NET4.0
Initialing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
clgen: Driver for Cirrus Logic based graphic boards, v1.5.2
   Couldn't find PCI device
aty128fb:detected XCLK=0x2711, ref_div=0x1b
aty128fb:Rage128 RE (PCI) [chip rev 0x2] 16m 128-bit SDR SGRAM (1:1)
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
fb0: ATY Rage128 frame buffer device on /pc1@80000000/ATY,Rage128x@10
aty128fb:detected XCLK=0x2711, ref_div=0x23
fb0: ATY Rage128 frame buffer device on
/pc1@80000000/pci-bridge@d/ATY,Rage128o@2
IBM_E15: initializing
IBM_E15: could not find S3 864 in system
input0: Macintosh mouse button emulation
Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
---END MESSAGE---

I have literally spent the last 48 hours searching for some assistance all
over the YelloDog web site, the mailing lists, and even through Google.
Unfortunataly, I am still stuck. I even took the time to re-download the
ISOs and re-burn them. Still nothing. So, I am hoping that someone can at
least tell me what all of this means.

Any input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tal Golan
opticnerve_info@yahoo.com