RE: Installation issues on "Wall Street" G3 (400/128MB/DVD/6GBHD)

Subject: RE: Installation issues on "Wall Street" G3 (400/128MB/DVD/6GBHD)
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 16:12:19 MDT

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Sean Fay wrote:
>The real bummer is that this system was a "gift" (aka friends company
>went dot.bomb and I recovered this system as is" ... so all I have is
>the system, power cord, and mac os 9 and 8 cd's ... I really don't want
>to have to pay like 300 dollars for a stinkin cdrom drive just to
>install Linux.

 Hrm... yeah, bummer. Well you could try to wait it out and see if it
recovers or not. I do remember it pausing a long time at one point and I
simply waited for what I thought was way too long and it recovered. I
don't remember if this was with the DVD drive or not. I suppose I could
try to re-install again and see if this happens again. Give it a try and
let me know if it happens again, and if so, I'll try to reproduce it as
well and see if I can make it work with only the DVD drive.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada