Mandrake 8.0 - PPC (a.k.a. everything I expected from YDL2.0)

Subject: Mandrake 8.0 - PPC (a.k.a. everything I expected from YDL2.0)
From: OpticNerve, Inc. - Information (opticnerve_info@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 10:18:22 MDT

Hello Everyone:

Just to re-cap...
(for more information on this entire issue, please see threads "At the end
of my installation role!" & "At the end of my installation role... and
frustrated!")

We have a STOCK Blue/White G3 that was purchased in October 1999.

The machine came with 128MB RAM and still has 128MB RAM.

The only thing that has been added to the machine since 1999 is some dust.
:-)

I waited all year for YDL2.0 specifically because I like to support the new
guy on the block and I like the Red Hat distribution.

I downloaded both CD ISOs and burned them.

I tried repeatedly to install the software, but never even got to the point
where the legendary YDL installer actually showed itself. (I hope that it
would have been worth the effort and wait.)

I downloaded both CD ISOs (again) and burned them (again).

Again, I dropped the CD into the CD/DVD drive, re-booted the computer, and
held down the 'c' key to boot from the CD, and once again, zippo! Nothin.
Nada.

At this point I had 2 options...

1) Smash the computer repeatedly with a hammer, or
2) Give another distribution a try.

Fortunately for me, I elected to go with option 2 and downloaded the ISOs
for Mandrake 8.0 for PPC.

United States

ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/Linux/mandrake-iso/ppc/ (NY)
ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-iso/ppc/ (Boston)
ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake-iso/ppc/
ftp://jungle.metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrake-iso/p
pc/ (North Carolina)

Well, I am pleased to report that my Mandrake installation took about 20
minutes from start to finish and went without a hitch. The only thing that I
needed to do was tell the Mandrake installer that I was using the ATY128
graphics card, after that, my experience could not have been smoother.

Now, it seems like many people have had success with YDL2.0 on G4's, but for
those of you struggling with your G3 or less, I would recommend giving
Mandrake a shot.

And for what it is worth, I would still rather have YDL2.0 on my machine,
but after working with Mandrake I will need some serious convincing. Not
only was the Mandrake install a piece of cake, I am very impressed with the
feel and functionality of the entire distribution. I installed absolutely
everything and am now in the process of "trimming" out the junk. I just
wanted to know that I could do an "EVERYTHING" install.

So, for those of you out there who, like me, reached the "end of your rope
trying to get YDL2.0 to install/work," I absolutely recommend checking out
Mandrake. You just might find, like me, that Mandrake is everything you
expected from YellowDog.

Regards,

Tal

P.S.

To all of the regular users out there who tried to help, please accept my
gratitude.

I would love to see YDL2.0 get this right, but I am rather tired with the
slow pace of this "list server" support. It seems like the folks from YDL
are MIA, at least with regards to this particular issue. In fairness, I did
receive a couple of suggestions from someone named Dan Burcaw (I think he is
from YDL), but it seemed to me like Dan was just throwing darts. My guess is
that there must be some nasty problems with the entire distribution, and the
YDL folks are up-to-their-ears with trying to sort out the mess.

If someone from YellowDog would like to contact me directly, with an actual
telephone number, I will be happy to assist in debugging this problem.
Despite my rather lousy experience thus far, I have not completely given up
on YDL, I just need some action!