Re: NFS

Subject: Re: NFS
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 10:26:33 MDT

on 9/5/01 2:03 PM, Robert Brandtjen at rob@prometheusmedia.com wrote:

> on 9/5/01 11:49 AM, Robert Brandtjen at rob@prometheusmedia.com wrote:
>
>> While trying to connect to a RH NFS server, the server reports opening the
>> connection and authorizing it - however, the YDL box times and never sees
>> the mount as having taken place -
>>
>> I followed the Linux NFS HOWTO to the letter.
>> Anyone have an idea what the problem might be ?
>
> Shall I assume, since there is no response like the apache SSI problem that
> NFS binaries are broken here as well?
>
> Some input from YDL would help, my other boxes can access the RH machine.

Ok - for those who may search the archives at a later date -

The problem is with Red Hat's (and therefore YDL) implementation of the
nfs_utils. Below is from nfs.sourceforge:

> Addendum for Red Hat 6.0-7.0 users. In the nfs-utils-0.3.1-7 rpms that Red Hat
> released they have modified rpc.statd to drop privs and become a non-root
> user. This user is (in order of the patch): rpcuser, if available, or nobody
> as a fallback case. Its probably the nobody case that is causing your problem
> b/c the dir is set to be owned 700 by rpcuser.rpcuser :) The patch also
> modifies rpc.statd to store sm and sm.bak in /var/lib/nfs/statd instead of
> /var/lib/nfs as in the stock tools. You'll want to check the ownership of
> /var/lib/nfs/statd and make sure the ownerships are 700 for whomever rpc.statd
> is running as.

What this means - in my case this was the problem, you must force uid and
gid to be the same user on both boxes or the directory will not mount on the
client thus causing the time out. This is different then setting it up for
normal rw access - if the client machine is not the a user on both machines,
it should default to an anon connection and still mount the directory or
return an access not allowed error message. The problem only arises when the
uid and gid is switched to nobody.nobody.

The other problem is that some of the options will also cause this time out
to occur - other options in the /etc/export files, since I have not tested
all available options.

 Robert Brandtjen
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com