Resolution and Screen Placement Issues...

Subject: Resolution and Screen Placement Issues...
From: Andy Green (agreen1@austin.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 12:04:11 MDT

Hello all,

First let me say what a great job the YDL team has done putting together a
version of Linux for the PPC. It's very impressive and I am very grateful to
have the ability to use this great tool on my G4. I just got YDL 2.0 in the
mail yesterday and stayed up until about 3am trying to get everything up and
running. I bought an extra 30GB hard drive for YDL and that's where I have it
installed exactly to spec.

The two issues that I am having are non trivial. My system uses a 21" Apple
Studio Display with the standard Rage 128 16 or 32MB (not sure which) video
card. The problems I am having are as follows:

1. There is a 1/4" black border around my desktop screen and I have not found
any documentation or applications that explain how to expand my screen so
that it consumes the entire monitor space. In the Mac OS, this is typically
done on the software side since the Apple Studio Display doesn't have any
controls built into the monitor. How do I expand my desktop screen?

2. I have managed to change the resolution to 1600x1200. This seems to be the
only resolution that the monitor can handle in 24 bit color. My monitor and
video card are capable of 32 bit color at 16x12 but when I tried to use that
setting using Xconfigurator, I get an error that says 32 bit color not
supported. In the current resolution, 1600x1200, there seems to be an odd
bright line on the right hand side of the screen. It is clearly not supposed
to be there and it makes me nervous. How do I get my setting to accept the 32
bit color in 1600x1200 resolution? and How do I get rid of the bright white
lines on the right of the screen?

Thanks again for all your hard work and I look forward to hearing from
someone soon.

Sincerely,
Andy Green