Re: Resolution and Screen Placement Issues...

Subject: Re: Resolution and Screen Placement Issues...
From: Donn Tarris (donntarris@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 13:18:45 MDT

On Friday, September 7, 2001, at 12:18 PM, Dan Burcaw wrote:

> 1600x1200 seems a little high for that monitor, have you tried going
> down
> to like 1280x1024?

Dan,
On a similar topic, I've stopped experimenting with YDL 2 at this point
primarily because of one issue, resolution and screen placement. Not
exactly like the example you were answering here, but similar.
I'm running a "stock" 9500/132 with a G3 upgrade card and a third party
monitor, the LG Studioworks 775N.
Under kernels previous to 2.18, the monitor resolution of 1024 x 768 at
a depth of 16 bits was found automatically during setup. On kernels from
2.18 on, including what's included with YDL 2, this is "broken", I
haven't been able to make it work at the requested resolution. If the
resolution is correct, it always goes to 8 bit colour and the screen is
shifted in position slightly, except for the overlay images during
startup of Gnome desktop (the little progress images that highlight).
If I do manage to get 16 bit colour at 1024 x 768, the cursor is
followed around by a trail of black rectangles...
I'm on to OS X at this point, but if the monitor problem could be
"solved", then I'd like to revisit YDL 2 as well.

Cheers,
Donn in Maple Ridge