Xfree86 on WallStreet Powerbook

Subject: Xfree86 on WallStreet Powerbook
robert.kerr@gtri.gatech.edu
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:33:43 MDT

I have a 300MHz WallStreet Powerbook (old world rom) with ATI Mach 64
video card.

Running YDL 2.0 , the typing rate in several applications is
ridiculously slow. In AbiWord or gedit, individual letters take 2-3
seconds to show up on the screen after a key hit. Xemacs seems to
work ok, however.

I have looked in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and see that the driver that
YDL 2.0 installs is "fbdev". This is for XFree86 version 4.0.2
installed by YDL 2.0. I have tried changing to the "ati" driver, but
X will not start, and complains with something like "Screens found,
but no compatible modes"

I tried downloading and installing XFree86 4.1 from XFree86.org I
went through the script installation they provide, but trying to
start X resulted in a complaint that lbncurses.so.4 was not present.

Do anyone have any experience with this. Should I be using the "ati"
driver? Is there any advantage to using XFree86 4.1 with this
machine?

--
Robert R. Kerr