Re: Blown Partition-Help!

Subject: Re: Blown Partition-Help!
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 20:45:07 MDT

on 9/7/01 6:59 PM, cbsled@ncia.net at cbsled@ncia.net wrote:

> I accidentally tried to mount an audio CD.
> This caused the system to freeze up tight.
> I had to do a hard reset. Ctrl-Alt-Bksp didn't even work to kill X.
> On reboot the fsck bombed. It suggested I run fsck manually.
> That bombed. It suggested I try an alternative superblock, but I have no idea
> which block out of the millions on the drive I should try. Is there any hope,
> or is it toast?

You can get that message if you are choosing the wrong partition, meaning,
one that is not ext2, such as one that contains the apple disk drivers or
some such -

Make sure you are choosing the same partition as Linux boots from - the
partition with /.

If you cannot remember, restart with the install cd in and began a custom
install, when you get to the partitioning point, you will see your
partitions.

 Robert Brandtjen
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com