Re: Mandrake 8.0 - PPC (a.k.a. everything I expected from YDL2.0)

Subject: Re: Mandrake 8.0 - PPC (a.k.a. everything I expected from YDL2.0)
From: Bob Beaton (bob@keyengine.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 22:47:24 MDT

Dan,

I'm pretty new to the L-generation, but not to computers. And I especially
like Mac hardware. So, take my comments below knowing my bias.

I got interested in Linux primarily to save my investment in Mac
boxes--mainly 6/7/8100's, 8/9500's, and G3's. (I also have a handful of
Intel PII/III machines, which I half-heartedly wanted to save; albeit, I was
motivated mainly out of guilt from recently upgrading their disk and video
subsystems).

I started out in Linuxland by reviving my Nubus machines with MkLinux and my
PCI machines with LinuxPPC. I had my share of problems (mostly due to my
lack of knowledge and inability to understand the available docs), but the
list server communities for these distributions were fabulous; actually they
were essential for me. Fortunately I learned enough from these kind folks to
venture through my RedHat 6.1 installs without any real problems. Soon
enough, however, I realized that the various flavors of Linux were hard to
maintain, due to things like different directory structures and different
apps, and even app versions. I needed more consistency across my platforms.
Here's were YDL 2.0 entered my life.

With YDL's similarity to RedHat, and with the availability of the 2.4+
kernels for the NuBus and PCI Macs and the Intel machines, I was able to put
together a nice little mixed-platform environment in which all machines look
pretty much the same and get maintained in pretty much the same way. I'm
sure others have different ways to do the same, but YDL 2.0 certainly met my
needs quickly and easily. So, I'm sold and settled on YDL for the moment.

Well, what's all this got to do with your question about making YDL a best
of class distribution? Simply put, context. You see, as a new Linux convert,
I needed several things just to get up-and-running with Linux. For example,
I needed clear, up-to-date, and accessible (understandable) documentation
relevant to particular hardware configurations. Terra Soft can do a better
job here. I also needed a current and well-known distribution (especially
with cross-platform similarities). Terra Soft does this pretty well, but
there seem to be some low hanging opportunities for improvements. Posting
rpms for the latest window managers is one example. I also needed some
system admin guidance for issues such as security and security updates,
troubleshooting, and compatible admin tools. I spend more time with YDL FAQs
(and others) these days than I do with my kids, so I suspect that Terra
Soft's contributions here are still pending. Finally, I keep dreaming about
an updated BlackLab for my old (or new) machines. Enough said on this latter
point.

As for stretch (IR&D) goals for YDL, I'm not really qualified to offer much.
But I will suggest that YDL support for Mac CPU upgrades would be way cool
and unique among the L-distributions. I just hate the thought of trashing my
wonderful Nubus and PCI Mac boxes due to their aging performance specs,
especially knowing that G3/G4 upgrades are getting inexpensive and knowing
that Sonnett has found the trick to get OSX running on some of their boards.
I'll also mention that I occasionally wonder what YDL (or any other
distribution) would be like on a G3 upgraded with dual G4s.

I'm sure you are well aware of my points. So just add one to your headcount
of YDL supporters hoping that you do become Best of Breed, as well as being
very thankful for your existing work and accomplishments to support the PPC.
Hope my comments help somehow.

Bob Beaton

> From: Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terraplex.com>
> Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:09:55 -0600
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> Subject: Re: Mandrake 8.0 - PPC (a.k.a. everything I expected from YDL2.0)
[....]
> So I guess this brings up a good question: how can we, as Terra Soft,
> make YDL a best of class distribution knowing that the economics
> of today, and this market in particular, don't allow us to hire many people?
> I'd love to hear feed back on this. Certainly I'd love to see YDL accaimed as
> highly as some of the big dogs (no pun intended).. but all that takes time
> and money. Both of which are limited.
[....]