Re: XFree86 4.1 problem

Subject: Re: XFree86 4.1 problem
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 18:58:39 MDT

>(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
>Fatal server error:
>no screens found

Caveat: I haven't gone to 4.1, but in 4.0.99 anyway, this indicates
that your Section known as "Screen" (usually at the very end of
XF86Config-4) is somehow incorrect. Look at that part of your
XF86Config-4 file which goes (here's mine, which is for a
fixed-resolution [old] Apple monitor):

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device "Card0"
         Monitor "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth 15
         DefaultFbBpp 16
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth 8
                 Modes "832x624"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth 16
                 Modes "832x624"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth 24
                 Modes "832x624"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth 15
                 FbBpp 16
                 Modes "832x624"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

In particular, try it with each possible DefaultDepth number set to
8, 15, 16, and 24 (I think 32 is another one). I'm real unsure of
myself here, but only if you use 15 do you need the FbBpp number at
16.

Also, I'm sure you know but I'll say it anyway, there has to be a
valid mode corresponding to the 832x624 (or whatever) part, in the
section called "Modes".

Again my caveat: I don't know if this config-file format still applies in 4.1.

Stefan Jeglinski