Re: XFree86 4.1 problem

Subject: Re: XFree86 4.1 problem
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 20:21:30 MDT

> > There is a caveat with XF 4.1 on Lombards in particular.
> > You need to have:
> >
> > Option "reference_clock" "29.498928 Mhz"
> > Option "hw cursor" "off"
> >
> > in your "Device" subsection.
>
> Is this at all needed for 4.0.2? Will it continue to be needed
> beyond 4.1? Or just until the bug(s) in 4.1 are fixed
> (hopefully in 4.2)?

Well hw cursor does not work due to a hardware bug. Of course, if that
can be worked around, that won't be needed in the future. I need to
find out if the reference clock parameter will always be needed (or
at least in the forseeable future).. I'm not sure.

> > The last thing, currently there is a bug related to sleep on Lombard hardware
> > only. Basically, when you wake up (if you're running XF 4.1 when you sleep)
> > the framebuffer is jacked and a reboot is necessary. This issue, I'm told,
> > is at least partially fixed in bitkeeper.
>
> So are you saying it's a kernel issue and not an XFree86 issue?

Yes. XF 4.1 just works differently then 4.0.x did and so this problem
comes to light. I have the fix in my latest build and anticipate testing
tonight (will let you and the list know how it goes).

> > Other then that, XF 4.1 is extremely good on the Lombard from my experience.
>
> Well, since I like to sleep my Lombard, I'll wait. Thanks for
> the info.

No prob.

--

Regards, Dan Burcaw Terra Soft Solutions, Inc. http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/