Re: Palm sync with YDL

Subject: Re: Palm sync with YDL
From: Morgan Doocy (mdoocy@mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 14:10:56 MDT

Scott --

I've had similar problems compiling before -- when I was starting out using
LinuxPPC, some installs I did wouldn't compile anything, but others would.
Eventually I realized that when it didn't work I wasn't installing some
really important stuff needed for compiling.

It seems that others have run into this with YDL too when they don't choose
the "Developer" or "Everything" installs. It takes a while, but I'd
recommend the "Everything".

If you don't want to reinstall (or update your install), I'd recommend
starting with the kernel-headers package (should be on the YDL install CD).
This installs stdio.h, string.h, and everything else you need to do ANY kind
of compiling. ncurses should be on the install CD too.

Also, although I haven't used it yet, to figure out dependency problems,
I've been told that urpmi works well. It takes a filename and tells you
which package you need to install to get that file; it then offers to
install it for you, as well as any other packages it is dependent upon.
Sounds pretty slick, but again I haven't used it yet. :-)

Hope that helps,

Morgan

*** Scott Frankel - leknarf@pacbell.net - 9/9/01 5:00 PM ***