MOL crashing alot (G4, YellowDog 2.0)

Subject: MOL crashing alot (G4, YellowDog 2.0)
From: Adam Fedor (fedor@doc.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 10:39:32 MDT

I posted this on the MOL list a few weeks ago, with no response.
additional info: I recently updated to MacOS 9.1. Still have the same
problems.

**********************

When I used 0.9.53, MOL was rock solid, but since I've upgraded to
0.9.58 and now 0.9.60, MOL has been crashing a lot. At one point 0.9.58
trashed my Mac System disk and did something unusual to my Lunix root
partition (fixed by fsck), although the evidence for that is circumstantial.

To get to the point, now I am running:

YellowDog-2.0, 2.2.19-1k kernel (stock installation)
MacOS 9 (brand new install, no extra extensions, ...)
MOL 0.9.60-4 rpm, with mol-kmods built from src for the 2.2.19-1k kernel

I've read all the recent email on the subject and haven't found anything
that really matches my situation. To wit: I have 17 partitions but I use
the /dev/hda10 syntax, I use --boot in my molrc, nothing unusually
running on my Mac, Altivec disabled, etc.

Here's the end of one log file from a crash (crashed when I started an
xterm):

***** SIGNAL Illegal instruction in thread main-thread *****
     si_signo = 4, si_errno 0, si_code 00000000
     si_addr (nil). Last RVEC: 0x0 (0)
     NIP 1000e61c
cleaning up...

I could send the entire log and perhaps a dozen more if anyone wants.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics            | Fudd's law of opposition: Push
fedor@doc.com  http://www.doc.com     | something hard enough, and it