Re: yaboot disabled from macos

Subject: Re: yaboot disabled from macos
From: johnathan spectre (jspectre@lords.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 13:53:00 MDT

on 9/12/01 3:33 PM, John Klinck at klinck@ccpo.odu.edu wrote:

> I have a curious problem with a dual boot powerbook (G4) running mac os
> 9.1 and ydl 2.0. I am using yaboot to choose between the two os. The problem
> is that if I am using macos and even open the control panel for the startup
> disk, yaboot is no longer available but the computer always starts macos.
>
> The temporary fix is to hold the option key on startup which leads to a
> graphics boot loader that allows me to choose which system I want to start.
>
> A linux wizard fixed the problem when it happened earlier, but I did not
> see what he did and he is no longer around to ask. Apparently the order of
> the boot loaders changed and I can not remember where, or how it was
> changed.
>
> I looked around the ydl web to find a solution. Sorry if I missed the
> relevant page. Thanks in advance for any help.

Well the first thing is to never open up the Startup Disc control panel
after setting the system to use yaboot. This includes the Startup Disc panel
under MacOS X. The panels scan all your partitions for valid MacOS boot
systems and will un-bless any foreign systems such as yaboot.

Take your Startup Disc panel in MacOS 9 and put it in your Control Panels
(Disabled) folder and leave it there, you shouldn't need it if you've got
yaboot set up correctly.

This should fix the problem, unless you've made some custom changes, but in
general you want to do the following:

Boot up linux
Log in as root (or su to root)
Run ybin (this is assuming your yaboot.conf file is set up correctly, it
probably is). I usually use the following "ybin -v" to see what is
happening.

Reboot and hope it all works. Now don't mess with the startup panels any
more. :-)

-js