CF Card/PCMCIA

Subject: CF Card/PCMCIA
cbsled@ncia.net
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 18:51:16 MDT

Are there any correct instructions anywhere?
The ones at http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/digital_camera.shtml are sketchy and didn't work.

They are:
"A PCMCIA CF card is easy to use. Just be sure you have PCMCIA support, stick in
the card, and "mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/flash". The only setup required is to mknod
/dev/hde. I don't remember the parameters off-hand (major and minor device
numbers). "

I installed the pcmcia_core rpm from the YDL2 install CD.
(There should be a laptop installation class, IMHO, like RH7.1)
"mknod /dev/hde b {random #} {random #}" fails because /dev/hde already exists.
I tried a few things with cardctl, they all complained of finding no drivers in /proc/devices.
"mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/flash" fails, saying that hde1 is not recognized as a block device.

It's beginning to look like a chicken and egg problem to me, so I gave up and wrote this.

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
Microsoft: The company that made eMail dangerous.