Re: CF Card/PCMCIA

Subject: Re: CF Card/PCMCIA
cbsled@ncia.net
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 18:37:33 MDT

On 09/14/01, at 10:54 AM, Ken Schweigert <ken@byte-productions.com> said:

>I suspect that your kernel doesn't have PCMCIA support built in. The
>instructions below might be expanded to say "...have PCMCIA support built into
>your kernel, ..." If you've never rebuilt a kernel, it's fairly easy and
>plenty of documentation out there on how to do it. Just make sure you "check"
>PCMCIA Support in the menu; as well as the other components you want built in.

I thought that the 2.2.19 (?) kernel on a YDL 2.0 stock install had it built in by default.
Wrong?
I don't want to recompile the kernel if it isn't necessary, but I have done it before.

>The mknod command that you used cannot just have random numbers. The complete
>list can be found in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt

Thank you! I shall investigate that.

The bigger question is why is this not mentioned in either the man page or the info file?
There isn't even as much as "There is a "devices.txt" file somewhere on your system...".
It is some of the least helpful linux documentation I have seen,
because most docs are really pretty good.

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
Microsoft: The company that made eMail dangerous.