Re: Almost there on laserwriter via netatalk

Subject: Re: Almost there on laserwriter via netatalk
From: Stephen Lewis (lewis@napanet.net)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 10:48:35 MDT

Although the method described can be made to work -
you are re-inventing the wheel.
There is an elaborate mechanism already
incorported in YDL (Redhat 7) which permits any file
to be printed using its own name either from the command
line or from an application. Begin by logging in as root
and typing 'printtool'. This will allow you to create
printcap entries that use filters to automatically
transform almost any file type into the correct form for
each printer (you can have any number of printers and
they can be native Postscript or not) Directories containing
filter will be built for you in /var/spool/xxx where
xxx is the name of your printcap entry. It is more difficult
to make a LaserWriter Pro operate correctly but this is
due to bugs explained below - previously discussed in July.
Stephen Lewis