Re: Almost there on laserwriter via netatalk

Subject: Re: Almost there on laserwriter via netatalk
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@sirius-beta.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 19:42:00 MDT

Stephen--

Actually that very message is what I followed. It was also forwarded
to me from John Fuller.

So I followed those precise directions. There are only a couple steps:

1. Make printtool entry
2. Edit general.cfg to insert ATALK
3. Create .paprc with printer name

I have done all this religiously.

The #1 name used was "LaserWriter" (no quotes)
The #3 name used was "LaserWriter Pro 630" (with quotes)

Apple Printer Utility reports the name as LaserWriter Pro 630

As the instructions next say:

> > and then try:
>> lpr -P lp file.txt
> > lpr -P lp file.ps
>> and try printing from inside applications - it *should* all work,
>> This worked for me, final printcap looks like this, good luck,
>>
>> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 300x300 letter {} PostScript Default
>> {}
>> lp|LaserWriterWhatever:\
>> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>> :mx#0:\
>> :sh:\
>> :lp=/dev/null:\
> > :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

lpr -P lp file.eps

works for me. The other tests do not.

my printcap looks like:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 600X600 Letter {} PostScript Default {}
lp|LaserWriter:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\