startx problem on 7200

Subject: startx problem on 7200
From: Michael Cargian (mcargian@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 21:46:03 MDT

Hi all, I am a newbie to Linux and YDL and am having trouble getting X to
run. I have two basic problems, one there is no 'startx' command on my
system...did I miss something when I installed?

Two...being a newbie I tried starting X on my own with /etc/X11/X and I get
a quick screen flicker then a bunch of output...the important bit (I
believe) being:

--
[stuff deleted]
Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb'

Fatal server error: No valid modes found. --

After doing a 'find' there is no rgb directory, or RGB_DB anywhere on the system. The XF86Config file has:

RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

But that path doesn't actually exist.

I have reinstalled YDL a couple of times now, I have tried most of the things on the archive list that seemed relevant, i.e. checked that xfs is running on the same port that XConfig is pointed at (-1), tried the "No Video Driver" option, etc.

Is the main problem the missing files/directories???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

-- Michael Cargian - mcargian@hotmail.com Sydney, Australia