Problems with triple boot (9.1, X, Linux)

Subject: Problems with triple boot (9.1, X, Linux)
From: Riccardo Gusso (grick@libero.it)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 16:05:24 MDT

Until yesterday I had MacOs 9.1 and YellowDog 2.0 and dual boot with yaboot
worked fine: I had created a bootstrap partition when installing YellowDog
and at the startup from Open Firmware I had the possilibity to choose
between MacOs, Linux and cdrom. Today I've installed MacOs X in the same
partition, and this possibility has disappeared, as if the 'boot' variable
of OF returned to default, and my iMac boots directly in X. I tried to boot
in OF and set again 'boot' to hd:6,ofboot (my bootstrap partition). So the
Open Firmware menu went back, but the first time I booted in X again the
next time the iMac booted directly in X skipping the OF menu. Then it seems
that for me there is no possibility besides of setting the 'auto-boot'
variable to 'false' and choosing every time from OF where to boot. But I
know that other people succeeded in having a triple boot working, and so I
would like to have some suggestions. Notice that I have a rev.B, and so I
can't use the option key at the startup to have the graphical menu from
which to choose the system to boot.
And I would like to ask one more question: having installed X and 9.1 in the
same partition, is there any possibility that OF can distinguish between the
two systems (for example adding for X in ofboot.b a line with 'hd:\\string',
where 'string' is something else different from 'tbxi' for X) so that I can
choose directly from OF which Mac Os to boot instead of choosing it from
Startup Disk?
Thanks in advance.
Bye.
           Rick

--
"And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
 What can I possibly say?